Saturday, October 2, 2010

kiddie konglish

One of the number one rules at school is "don't speak Korean!" I hear this being yelled between students at least 30 times a day. Most days, the kids abide by that rule quite nicely. However, since they have a somewhat limited vocabulary, they have to come up with other words to describe every day items for which they do not know the English word. For example-baby wipes are water tissues. Worksheets are paper study. Sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out what they are referring to, and I usually smile when I realize what it is. I had to bite my tongue when I heard this one the other day. This was courtesy of a student named Hye Rin, who despite asking me daily if I am pregnant, is one of my favorites.
Hye Rin: Teacher, I is ouch and hurt tape.
Me: Ouch? Uh oh, did you hurt yourself?
Hye Rin: Yes, but hurt tape and I is ok now.
At this point, I am thinking, hurt tape, what the heck? Then she pulls up her sleeve and shows me a band aid on her arm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite Korean story so far!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

The strange thing is.....hurt tape is probably a better name than band aid !!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

hey; i use a lot of hurt tape lately. grampa m

Anonymous said...

I asked our nurse at school if she had any "hurt tape" and told her your story...she loved it!

Aunt Ann