Friday, June 4, 2010

51 to go!

Use your words.
In addition to trying to survive, I have been thinking of how I can put into words my fist week here. I've received so many emails asking how I am doing. And I love you all for that. I appreciate all the support. And I apologize a million times for my sad excuses for responses. I can't quite seem to find the words.

When I was in Morocco, I remember looking out the window of the train, watching the countryside pass by, and I was thinking "Wow. This is Africa. I am in Africa." Asia gives me somewhat of a similar feeling. But knowing I will be here a year, not just two weeks has caused a bit of panic as well as disbelief. People stare when I walk down the sidewalk. Sometimes they (especially little kids) say a random English word or two. I don't have a clue what anything is on the restaurant menus or at the grocery store (btw, the coffee I showed in my video was instant. HA, fail!). I can't begin to read any street signs or instructions. My pants have gotten more food this week than my mouth thanks to Korean chopsticks and my being completely inept at using them.

School. Work. Full time. No training. As well as feeling completely overwhelmed with life in general, there is also school, the reason I am here. Because of a slight delay in getting my visa, I missed my week of training. So I was put in front of the class, and told to teach, with basically no training. I stumbled my way through it. Friday was definitely easier. And I am sure the days will continue to get easier as I become more familiar with the school, its policies, curriculum, etc. And the kids are so cute. They call me "Rora teacher" because my name seems to be impossible for them to say. My favorite quote from the week was said by a girl named Hye Rim, "Rora teacher princess"

So that's that. I survived one week. But when I am here for a full year, it's not enough just to survive. That's not a life. So once I get the survival down pat, I will work on flourishing. Now, I have to go to the store. And copying my sister from another mister Anya's blog, I will photograph my walk to the store. Pictures to come soon.

5 comments:

Joni said...

Laura, I'm sure you were fine with teaching. And I think that the princess comment may be the cutest thing ever. I can't wait to see your pictures of the walk to the store.

Anonymous said...

Rora, maybe you should have told them your name was "Yoyo", maybe they could have said that!! I can not imagine how overwhelmed you must feel, a regular day in Princeton, IL., frequently overwhelms me!! I guess "Lonely Planet" misspoke, when saying all signs were also in English! Keep up the good attitude, a week at a time is a good plan. Love you and miss you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Chin your chin up. There's not a doubt in my mind you can get through this. You can do anything!!!!!!!!

Love, Eliza

Anonymous said...

I said "chin your chin up."

But I stand by it.
-eliza

corynn.koch said...

I know that overwhelming feeling, and you do too! Keep remembering how France ended up for you... you'll probably never want to leave!