Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I live at the drawing board

Today sucked.

I've never been someone who feels the need to do a whole lot with my hair.  My natural color works for me, so I've never gotten it professionally dyed, or highlighted, or anything like that. It's curly, so I've never had a cut that required a lot of upkeep or frequent trips to the salon for a trim. I've tried a few times to get more of a styled cut, and stylists never quite seem to know what to do with curly hair, so I've quit trying. Usually I go in once a year or so to get the dead ends cut off. Sometimes I'll get it a little shorter if the mood hits, or have a few layers put in, and that's about it. It's been looking ratty lately, so I decided it was about time I got my yearly cut. Because I so rarely go to the salon, I don't have a regular hair stylist or salon. I go wherever. I made an appointment for this morning at one of the local salons. I'd never been to this particular place, but I'd heard good things. When I got to my appointment this morning, I said I only want the very very ends cut off, an inch at the most. It's going into summer. Summer = humidity. Humidity = frizzy hair. And I wanted as much weight as possible on my hair to weigh it down. An inch. 1 inch. The girl who cut my hair must be Canadian or something, and therefore only understands the metric system. She cut at least 4 inches off of my hair. FOUR INCHES. Sigh.

Then, this afternoon I received this email from the Olivet admissions office:

Hi Laura,
I received your application, thank you for completing it.  At this time, we do not have a cohort scheduled.  I was just informed that the state needs to make changes to the program, which need to get approval.  Therefore, we do not have a cohort scheduled.  We are hoping to start one in spring 2015, but at this time, I am not certain.  Would you like me to send you information on if or when our next cohort is scheduled?

Dear Illinois,
Sometimes, I hate you so much that I have trouble putting it into words. But, I'll try. Much like making substitute teachers pass the teacher certification tests in order to ensure they're "qualified" to take attendance and show a movie, I know this is some bullshit plan to squeeze more money out of the poor suckers who call you home. I don't know what these changes are, but I am willing to bet anything it has nothing to do with making teachers better at teaching, and everything to do with putting more money into someone's pocket. Or possibly, a state politician very nearly hit a pothole. So as a result of that near miss, they will be repaving all the roads within a 30 mile radius of Springfield (seriously, has anyone ever driven around Springfield? I-55 there is pristine, like a freaking bowling lane).
I hate you and I hope someday I will no longer call you home.
Laura

So, it's back to square one, again. Why is it this hard? So far 2014 has really not been my year. It's been one disappointment after another. Luckily, that's where wine steps in. I know there are people with far worse problems than my own, and I have to remind myself of that. But even so, sometimes it gets hard to keep a positive attitude and I just want to scream at the universe "WILL SOMETHING PLEASE WORK OUT?!?"

Illinois has a rich history of corruption. 4 of our last 7 governors are/were in prison. Yea, buddy. From the mayor of the smallest town to the man currently living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, it's a bad idea to trust any Illinois politician.  It's a bad idea to get involved in anything this state has its greedy hand in. Since teaching licensure is done at the state level, maybe it's better that I look outside the Land of Lincoln. Maybe I'll look at either online programs from other states or consider moving out of the state. Or maybe I'll say forget this whole being a grown up thing and move abroad again.

2 comments:

JAMIE said...

That sounds so frustrating!!! Online school or moving doesn't sound so bad! I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this.

jswanson04 said...

WTF. I mean, I haven't delved deep into New York politics yet, but I don't know how it could be worse than Illinois'. Connecticut had a pretty good corrupt streak for a while, though -- even nicknamed Corrupticut. Yup.