Monday, September 13, 2010

Kolean tlansratol

L and R. Two letters, one sound...if you are Korean. So it is no surprise that my name poses a particular challenge for the citizens of this lovely country.
Most of my students call me either "Lola" or "Rora" and my favorite argument is when the Lola sayers try and correct the Rora sayers or vice versa. It never gets old.

I walked into one of my afternoon classes today, and my kids were all laughing gathered around an electronic device. As they brought it over to me, I could see it was an electronic translator, which had this message for me from my students "Hello Rora Teacher. How are you? Can we play game today?"
Aparently even battery operated Korean electronics have a problem with my name.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Love it!! :)

jswanson04 said...

ummm. i think i'm going to call you lola from now on. just saying. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that this post outed me having internet access during a class.


..I burst out laughing, prompting my teacher to come over to my laptop and "see what was so funny."

-eli

Anonymous said...

I vote for Lola...
Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo-La...ever heard that song?
Aunt Ann