Monday, January 25, 2010

a heartfelt, albeit forced, apology

A few weeks ago, I had an especially bad day with a class of 4emes at Tivoli. They are my last class of the day. Although not as bad as my two classes of 3emes, their behavior is always horrible by any other school's standards. So this particular Monday, two students were feeling especially argumentative, and refused to give me their carnets when I asked. I didn't feel like dealing with them, so I just said "fine" and continued with my lesson. The teacher of this class is super nice and very understanding. So when she asked me how the lesson went, I told her. She was horrified and seemed very surprised. I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking where the surprise came from. Were we talking about the same group of kids? At any rate, both students got detention, and the boy will be suspended if he gets one more detention. The girl was forced to write me a letter of apology.

Since the picture is a little hard to read, and it is in French, I'll translate. It says:
Dear Laura,
I am sorry that I ruin your afternoon every Monday. I know that you are only here because Tivoli gives you free housing in exchange for your blood, sweat, tears, and soul, and you no longer care about whether or not I learn English. But I also know that I can improve my English by working with you.
You have been more than fair with me all year. Thank you for understanding that my behavior is not entirely my fault. I am but a product of poor parenting. I realize that you should not suffer as you do for my parents' mistakes, and I will try to act human for the 55 minutes that we are together every other Monday.
Begging your forgiveness,
Soulless Tivoli Student #353

I might have taken a few translating liberties.

I went to Toulouse this weekend. It is a lovely city. It felt very weirdly unfrench, and it was nice to have a short change of scenery.


The Garonne, the same river that flows through Bordeaux.



Lots of motorcycles, they were holding flyers for something or other. But I could not see what they were for.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to know how many "liberties" were actually taken. If that's anything near what the letter actually said...awesome.

Love you!
Eliza

jswanson04 said...

i love that letter! but i, too, want to know what liberties you took. :)