Monday, December 14, 2009

a private letter, that I will share with my faithful 4 readers

Dear Teachers,
I understand, what with you being French and all, that you were born without any sense of decency. It goes against your nature to think of anyone besides yourself, but come on. TRY. You all have my phone number. You all have my email address. You all see my mailbox at school every day. YOU ALL KNOW WHERE I LIVE. If you don't need me at school, that makes me happy. Your students are the worst group of kids I've ever met, and I love nothing more than a canceled Tivoli class. You will not hurt my feelings. You will not make me mad. HOWEVER, when I take the time to prepare something to do with the kids, only to go sit in an empty classroom for 20 minutes before giving up and returning to my room, THAT MAKES ME MAD. Waking up at 6:30, only to find out I don't have class until 10, that makes me mad. Last week, I only had 2 of my 6 classes show up. How many teachers gave me warning? ONE. This week, I had 3 of 6. How many teachers gave me warning? NONE. Saying "Oh, Laura! I meant to call/email you" the next time you see me should not ease your conscience because that does not make it any less inconsiderate. If you want me to put any effort at all into this job, show me some respect. Make me feel like you value having me here and you value the work I do, and that means remembering that I exist and having the common courtesy to tell me if class is canceled. Until that happens, the students will be getting crossword puzzles I print off the internet 5 minutes before class starts. I don't want to waste my time preparing lessons that will never see the outside of my lesson folder.

Merci pour rien,
Laura

2 comments:

Joni said...

Oh Laura. Just think about the delicious cookies and candy we're going to make. You are an awesome teacher and person, and if they don't get that, they suck.

Anonymous said...

Just dont show up one day when they're planning on you. Then the next day say, "Oh [insert name here], I meant to call/email."

Eliza