Friday, December 18, 2009

blackballing tourists? If Cuba can do it, so can we!

Facebook recently changed its "privacy" settings, making things less private. Certain Tivoli kids have also been asking me if I am on Facebook. Some classes at Tivoli call me Laura, while others call me Ms. Morris. I know they are not smart enough to put two and two together to figure out my full name, and even if they did, there are over 500 people named "Laura Morris" on Facebook, I prefer to err on the side of caution. A fair amount of my Facebook statuses include the words Tivoli students, human forms of Satan, and caned daily. I only speak the truth, but these statuses would be frowned upon by Tivoli students, parents, and teachers. So I have been going through my list of students, finding their Facebook pages, and blocking them from ever seeing anything having to do with me on Facebook. In doing this, I of course look at their Facebook pages before blocking them.
A lot of the Tivoli kids are "fans" of the United States. I can't say that I blame them, it is a great place. But I dislike them so much, I feel like writing to my local Congressman to see if there is any way that we can forbid these little terrors from ever stepping foot in the US. My reason of course being protecting the sanctity of the United States. The Statue of Liberty does not say "give me your spoiled, your evil, your soulless French adolescent masses yearning to do nothing because they are just too 'cool' to care about anything besides throwing things, which they always do with gusto"

I made this kid cry on Monday. IT.FELT.SO.GOOD. I never thought I would take pleasure in someone else's misery, but until you have witnessed first hand the behavior of these kids, don't judge me :-)

In reading over what I have written the past few months, I realize how negative I have been sounding. I am not a negative person. Tivoli just seems to bring out the worst in me. I know that I have said it before, but I have never seen anything like it. The behavior of these kids is unreal. They are rich and spoiled and without a doubt products (or victims?) of their upbringing. In having all the money to offer their offspring every opportunity in the world, these parents have created monsters, most of whom have not a single redeeming quality.

And then there are my little kids. It doesn't seem to matter how I am feeling before going to the primary school, the kids make me so happy. They are so excited and so charming. A month or so ago, I gave one girl in one class a high five. Now, I cannot start or finish English class without giving every student a high five. Someone taught the kids "I love you." When I am leaving, if they kids are outside at recess, they climb up the fence, and stick their little hands out as I walk by. They say "Bye Laura. I love you!" They give me hugs and kisses and pictures they color. Last week one girl gave me a kiss, then said "Laura, I have the flu"

No comments: