Thursday, February 6, 2014

Eat your feelings

Dear 2014,
I know you are young...but so far, you suck.

It hasn't been the happiest week chez Morris. My favorite buddy, my special guy, the king of the castle, my good friend Clarence J. Cat has been struggling the past several days.




One year ago, Clarence was diagnosed with some heart problems. He was given 3-6 months. 6 months came and went without any problems. He'd been doing fine, and I'd often forget he was sick. Then last week, seemingly out of nowhere, he had a little breathing episode, and has progressively gotten worse since then. It's been hard to watch. He's only 4 years old.

I'm having a hard time. To say I love this cat is an understatement. I'm trying to prepare myself, while remaining hopeful.
So how do I deal with things like this? I don't smoke anything. I'm not a big drinker. The massive amounts of packed down snow covering the roads make running nearly impossible. The way I see it, I only have one real option-dessert. Ahhh, stress eating, my dear old friend!
So, here is a little pick me up for anyone else who thinks 2014 sucks (seriously, WILL IT EVER STOP SNOWING????) and/or loves delicious desserts.
I may have posted this recipe before. But, it's worth re-posting. I got it from Grandma Koch, and the frosting is the invention of my awesome mom.
You should make this. It's simple (1 bowl!) and seriously SO GOOD. You're welcome.

Easy Apple Snack Cake
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. oatmeal
1 c. flour
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. water
1 egg
3/4 c. applesauce
1/2 c. raisins (optional, but good!)
1/4 c. chopped nuts (optional, but good!)
3/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cloves

Heat oven to 350, and grease an 8x8 metal pan. Measure all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Blend ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Stop, scrape, and mix for 30 seconds longer. Beat 2 1/2 minutes longer on high speed, scraping 3 times. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake 50 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed lightly. Cool.

Frosting
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and bring to a boil in small pan. Stir 1 minute on low boil. Cool slightly. Add 1 tablespoon of milk to mixture, and mix until smooth. Beat in enough powdered sugar to be spreadable. This recipe hardens some as it dries, so it should be a bit runnier than normal frosting.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Clarence!
I am getting in a few runs, but not enough to deal with naughty kids/goofy administration people, etc., so I hear ya! I have even stooped to exercising along with the silly lady on Iowa Public TV at 6:00 am some mornings...sad...
Love, Aunt Ann

Katelynne said...

I am over here rooting for Clarence J. Cat! Nice that you and your buddy have some snax while you wait out the snow. Hope you whisper a birthday message into the wind as you eat it...
Miss ya boo. Thinking of you and cat <3 KD

Joni said...

Laura, I will be making this cake. It's good for you if it has apples. Don't beat yourself up over it.

We're rooting for Clarence too.

@Aunt Ann. I also enjoy exercising to the goofy lady on IPTV at 6am. Classical Stretch is amazing for those of us totally home bound from the snow. No shame!!! You're doing more than 50% of the country at this point.

Kate said...

I am very behind on blogs so I am just now reading this. So sorry to hear about Clarence. How is he doing this week?

I don't know that I've ever had that cake - I'll have to make it sometime. Also no running for me for a while. Turns out that the antibiotic Cipro has a potential side effect of causing tendons to burst up to months after taking it... I had to take it two months ago and my achilles became very sore on Friday. Hope it will be okay soon, but I'm very nervous!