Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ice

One thing on my lifetime to do list is to run a marathon. I've tried before but have been plagued by knee issues when I regularly run more than 8+ miles a day. But I'm hoping with various stretches, cross-training, way healthier eating, and Biofreeze, this will be my year. I'm secretly super competitive, and when I see posts from random people on FB about completing the Chicago Marathon, I think "If they can do it, there's no reason why I can't!"
The plan is to start with a half marathon in the spring. I'm not overly worried about that one. I've ran 13+ miles many times, just never in an actual race. It's been a few years and I definitely have to work up to it again, but I'm confident that I'm more than capable.
Aside from my knee, the other hurdle I face is the weather. On a normal year, I run from around April until October. I'm a wuss and hate the cold. So I either do workout videos or go to the gym (if I have a membership) from Novemberish until spring. This year was no exception. I ran the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, and haven't ran a step since then.
I know that if I'm going to be ready for a half marathon by spring, I need to suck it up and continue running at least a few days a week during winter. I have thermal tights, warm socks, lots of fleece, etc. Now I just need the drive. I was pumped, ready to do it...until I saw the forecast for the next several days. When did we move to Siberia? For three or four days next week, the warmest it's supposed to be is -2? Lows in the -20s? Wind chills of -50? What? I can't run in that. I don't want to get out of bed when it's like that.
I assumed this winter would be a rough one when I was wearing a sweater in August and it was snowing by October. But I had no idea it'd be this much of a cruel joke from Mother Nature. Call me weak, but my running will not resume until it's warmer than 20.
Forget all that "science" nonsense about climate change and extreme weather. There is actually a very simple reason why this winter is so bad. Two years ago, I bought a Jeep. I hadn't driven in winter weather for 4 years. I was kind of nervous about it and I wanted something with 4 wheel drive. I used the 4 wheel drive once, for about 1 mile, to get the car up a hill during the one snowstorm we had that winter. By summer, the gas on the Jeep was killing me. I bought a Volkswagen but the Jeep stayed around here. I was gone for 2 1/2 months last winter, but while I was home, I still had the Jeep available in case of snow. We had a blizzard or two, but they happened when I was gone. I never once turned 4 wheel drive on last year. This winter, the Jeep has a new home, so it's me and my Volkswagen. It's pretty light and relatively easy to push, which is lucky because I've gotten it stuck twice already. It's not meant for snow or ice. I'm sure if I still had the Jeep, baby leaves would be popping out of the trees already and I'd be wondering which pair of shorts to wear today. That's how things work, non?

My dad helping free my car

1 comment:

Joni said...

1. Now I blame you entirely for this weather.
2. This is the year for us! We will run the half marathon and you will for sure run the marathon this fall. I know you can. :)