Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wanna talk about me!

I realized sometimes this blog is like a Christmas letter. I use it to keep people informed on the happenings in my life, which admittedly haven't been overly exciting lately. And I can talk about myself as much as I want. Who doesn't love talking about themselves? But, while I started this to update other people about life in Bordeaux (hence the redwineandshellfish name), and I do try my best to keep it PG so as to not offend anyone, I've kept up with this blog for myself more than any other reason. I like to look back at it, and see what I was doing on a particular date. Ah, nostalgia.


Here are some updates.

Zit happens.
Wearing makeup is the pits, but I've mostly kept up with it. Before, especially in the summer when I don't have to worry about my hair freezing if I leave before it's completely dry, I could be ready to go somewhere in about 20 minutes. Now, not so much. And (though it's probably not the fault of the makeup because I'm now doing much better about washing my face that ever before but I blame the makeup anyway) my skin has never looked worse. The left side of my jaw looks like one of those 3D terrain maps of the Western United States. If these things get any bigger I'll have to claim them as dependents on my taxes. Acne at age 31, what every girl dreams about! Of course, there are much worse problems I could have, so I'm not overly bothered by a few pimples on my chin. I'm not turning cartwheels about them, but it's no biggie.


I like cats.
I deleted my Plenty of Fish account. I'm not looking for a husband. I'm not looking for a serious relationship. I thought I just wanted to casually date. Guys messaged me. Some of them were trolls. Some of them I'd actually be interested in if I met them out and about. However, when they'd ask me for my number, I'd suddenly become not interested. I realized in addition to a husband and a serious relationship, I also have no interest in dating, even casually. I'm sure when I've moved somewhere, am more settled, am moving in a serious grown up direction, I'll feel differently. But until then, sorry gentlemen, I'm not interested.


Gotta run run run!
This weekend was wonderfully springish feeling. Saturday I ran 4 miles and yesterday I ran 7. I'd never win any awards for speed, but considering it was my first run in 6 weeks, I was pretty happy with how easy it felt. Saturday was a little tricky because the roads were still covered in ice. But yesterday was great. I actually felt like I could have gone a few more miles. There's no way I could do 13 miles yet, but I think it'll be no problem by May. And for a little cross training action, Joni and I are taking an 8 week Latin fusion dance class. First class is tonight. Yea buddy! It is supposed to get way cold in the next few days, so it looks like it'll be me and Shaun T again. The 45 degree weather was nice while it lasted. My diet's been pretty good, too. I've forgotten a few times and had some rye chips at work, but otherwise I've had no gluten in two weeks. I've also done fairly well with cutting way back on sugar. Sad.

Wanderlust stop!
I'm trying, like really trying, to be a serious grown up. I look at for jobs. I look at graduate programs. But blarg, yawn, snooze. I've got traveling on the brain. Bad. Why can't I be like a normal 31 year old who is content to get a job, get married, and have a family? I don't want that. I want to want that. But...nope. Sometimes I try to imagine myself with a kid, and the first thing that pops into my head is "If I have to pay for things for a kid, I wouldn't have any travel money left." Often times when looking for a job I'm sidetracked by GoOverseas.com, travel blogs, or random people's travel vidoes on Youtube. The world is such a cool place. The more of it I see, the more I want to see. That's normal, right?

No comments: