Two years ago, I made my 2012 resolution. In case you don't feel like rereading, my resolution was to not give a *expletive* if people don't like me, because their opinions are worthless to me anyway and that I'm rad.
I stand by that resolution. I'm still rad, and if someone doesn't like me, his/her opinions are still worthless to me.
This year I decided to make another resolution, and it's a shallow one. In 2014, I'm going to spend more time on my appearance. On a good year, I get my hair cut once. Some years, I don't get it cut ever, but rather trim up tangled bits myself. I rarely wear makeup. I don't wear jewelry, belts, or match my purses to anything. If you see me in the summer, I'm probably wearing a dress. Why? So I don't have to match a top with a bottom. A few months ago, I wore my slippers to the movies. I thought they'd pass for shoes, until my dad told me otherwise, and asked that I please walk a safe distance behind them. Here's a secret-if I'm going somewhere in the winter where I know I won't be taking my coat off, chances are good I'm not wearing a bra. And also in the winter, chances are good that my legs look like a dude's. I'd love to be able to say I'm making a statement. Women don't need to fit into society's idea of beauty blah blah blah. I agree with that to an extent, if you want to shave your legs and wear makeup, good for you. If you feel better not shaving your legs and don't own any mascara, good for you. But I'm not making any kind of statement. The reason for my appearance is that I'm lazy.
Although it's not obvious to strangers, I've actually come a long way in terms of my appearance. When I was in middle school and junior high, I was the smelly kid. My ideas on personal hygiene were straight up 16th century. Shower? What is this, a holiday? The cure for body odor is clearly perfume and lots of it. Or if things got really bad, I'd break out the baby powder scented teen spirit deodorant. My ponytail was always perfectly smooth, because my hair was so oily. Combine all that with my festively colored braces and the oboe case I carried to school each day, and I was quite the catch. It's a modern day mystery that no boys asked me to the junior high dances.
By high school I'd started bathing on a regular basis and fixing my hair, though I did still have the braces/retainers and the oboe case. But I've never been fully on board the makeup train. I can't match a top with a bottom to save my life. The thought of accessorizing makes me break out in a cold sweat. If you ever see me wearing a belt, it's because it came with the outfit.
So step one of my resolution is to wear more makeup. And I'm not talking like Nicki Minaj levels of makeup to go to the grocery store. But when I go to work, dinner, etc, I'm going to make more of an effort to put on a little. I have nothing against makeup. Nor am i saying people have to wear makeup. Personal choice. But I do enjoy wearing it. I think it's fun to mess with. The main reason I don't wear makeup more often is because I don't want to take the time to wash my face when I get home from wherever I was. Lazy. PreFrance, I did okay about wearing it to work. Fact- people tip better when I wore makeup. But since going back to work at le restaurant, my makeup wearing has been scarce.
Problem. I'm realizing I don't really know how to apply it very well. And I don't know what colors I should be wearing. When I was a teenager, young, stupid, and first starting to put makeup on, my thoughts were along the lines of "Well, today I'm wearing a purple sweater. Purple eye shadow it is!" Bam, makeup done. The cosmetics currently filling my makeup bag are all at least 3 years old and are either things I took from Eliza, or products I bought in Seoul because I liked the color. Do the colors work for me? I dunno. Am I applying it correctly? I dunno. Fortunately, we're living in the age of instructions for anything being just a Youtube video away. So I've been watching a lot of videos I found searching for "pale skin green eyes makeup" or other things along those lines. They are helpful, except the girls who make these videos seem to have bottomless piggy banks and can spend any amount on top of the line cosmetics. The videos start with "Go to Sephora and buy this $30 makeup brush to apply this $25 eye shadow." Right... I have no problem buying top of the line, if we are talking about important things, like Parmesan cheese. But makeup? Come on now. This girl's on a budget. I need a Cover Girl and Rimmel makeup tutorial video.
Maybe once I figure out makeup, I'll work on accessorizing. Maybe. Or else maybe I won't do anything. If you see me in February, and I'm still wearing makeup, you'll know it was a success. Makeup is a lot of work. And haven't we already decided that New Year's resolutions made to be broken? But I will try my best to wear proper undergarments when I'm out and about, and put on actual shoes, not slippers when I go to the movies. Baby steps.
I stand by that resolution. I'm still rad, and if someone doesn't like me, his/her opinions are still worthless to me.
This year I decided to make another resolution, and it's a shallow one. In 2014, I'm going to spend more time on my appearance. On a good year, I get my hair cut once. Some years, I don't get it cut ever, but rather trim up tangled bits myself. I rarely wear makeup. I don't wear jewelry, belts, or match my purses to anything. If you see me in the summer, I'm probably wearing a dress. Why? So I don't have to match a top with a bottom. A few months ago, I wore my slippers to the movies. I thought they'd pass for shoes, until my dad told me otherwise, and asked that I please walk a safe distance behind them. Here's a secret-if I'm going somewhere in the winter where I know I won't be taking my coat off, chances are good I'm not wearing a bra. And also in the winter, chances are good that my legs look like a dude's. I'd love to be able to say I'm making a statement. Women don't need to fit into society's idea of beauty blah blah blah. I agree with that to an extent, if you want to shave your legs and wear makeup, good for you. If you feel better not shaving your legs and don't own any mascara, good for you. But I'm not making any kind of statement. The reason for my appearance is that I'm lazy.
Although it's not obvious to strangers, I've actually come a long way in terms of my appearance. When I was in middle school and junior high, I was the smelly kid. My ideas on personal hygiene were straight up 16th century. Shower? What is this, a holiday? The cure for body odor is clearly perfume and lots of it. Or if things got really bad, I'd break out the baby powder scented teen spirit deodorant. My ponytail was always perfectly smooth, because my hair was so oily. Combine all that with my festively colored braces and the oboe case I carried to school each day, and I was quite the catch. It's a modern day mystery that no boys asked me to the junior high dances.
By high school I'd started bathing on a regular basis and fixing my hair, though I did still have the braces/retainers and the oboe case. But I've never been fully on board the makeup train. I can't match a top with a bottom to save my life. The thought of accessorizing makes me break out in a cold sweat. If you ever see me wearing a belt, it's because it came with the outfit.
So step one of my resolution is to wear more makeup. And I'm not talking like Nicki Minaj levels of makeup to go to the grocery store. But when I go to work, dinner, etc, I'm going to make more of an effort to put on a little. I have nothing against makeup. Nor am i saying people have to wear makeup. Personal choice. But I do enjoy wearing it. I think it's fun to mess with. The main reason I don't wear makeup more often is because I don't want to take the time to wash my face when I get home from wherever I was. Lazy. PreFrance, I did okay about wearing it to work. Fact- people tip better when I wore makeup. But since going back to work at le restaurant, my makeup wearing has been scarce.
Problem. I'm realizing I don't really know how to apply it very well. And I don't know what colors I should be wearing. When I was a teenager, young, stupid, and first starting to put makeup on, my thoughts were along the lines of "Well, today I'm wearing a purple sweater. Purple eye shadow it is!" Bam, makeup done. The cosmetics currently filling my makeup bag are all at least 3 years old and are either things I took from Eliza, or products I bought in Seoul because I liked the color. Do the colors work for me? I dunno. Am I applying it correctly? I dunno. Fortunately, we're living in the age of instructions for anything being just a Youtube video away. So I've been watching a lot of videos I found searching for "pale skin green eyes makeup" or other things along those lines. They are helpful, except the girls who make these videos seem to have bottomless piggy banks and can spend any amount on top of the line cosmetics. The videos start with "Go to Sephora and buy this $30 makeup brush to apply this $25 eye shadow." Right... I have no problem buying top of the line, if we are talking about important things, like Parmesan cheese. But makeup? Come on now. This girl's on a budget. I need a Cover Girl and Rimmel makeup tutorial video.
Maybe once I figure out makeup, I'll work on accessorizing. Maybe. Or else maybe I won't do anything. If you see me in February, and I'm still wearing makeup, you'll know it was a success. Makeup is a lot of work. And haven't we already decided that New Year's resolutions made to be broken? But I will try my best to wear proper undergarments when I'm out and about, and put on actual shoes, not slippers when I go to the movies. Baby steps.
1 comment:
Totally me! I've been trying to wear mascara every day for the past few months, not really sure why. But it's so annoying to have to take off at night. Also, I've started to run out! And I am shocked. I thought those tubes lasted literally forever. My one from college did (finally threw it away a couple years ago because I read something about all the stuff that could grow in it.) If you find any good youtube videos for people with no $$ who know next to nothing about make-up... let me know!
Post a Comment