One of only a few downfalls to living in the country is the internet, or lack thereof. Think dial up speed. It's okay for checking email, sports scores, and weather if I'm lucky. But uploading pictures turns into an all day job. As for things like Skype, Facetime, or streaming videos, forget it.
So it's been nearly a month since San Francisco, but I guess finally putting these pictures on here is a good activity for this cold and rainy fall day.
I know nothing about this. There were probably signs up around it, explaining what it was. However I was too busy looking at a skull in a pink bunny hood to be bothered with anything else.
In front of the Painted Ladies, aka the spot where the Tanner Family has a picnic on the opening credits
San Francisco was full of gorgeous old houses
Our to do list wasn't long, but a pilgrimage to the Tanner House was tops on the list. Judging from some back yard scenes I remember, the Gibbler House would be the one on the left. I need a hobby.
Aside from the Victorian houses, my favorite thing about the city were the old street cars. I was never able to get a good picture (but you can see them here), sad. They are from various cities around the world.
The sky was beautifully blue and the sun was bright every day we were there. It was lovely weather, but made photographing some things hard, especially since I was just using my ipod. So it didn't photograph the best, but this house was bright purple and pink, a bold color selection.
Alcatraz! I will show you my photos from Alcatraz next time. And by next time I mean the next time I go to San Francisco. Here is some good advice for anyone planning a trip there-book your Alcatraz tickets as immediately after you book your plane tickets, even before your hotel. They sell out like whoa fast. We were told a few days in advance would suffice. Not true. The sooner the better. It was still cool to see it from afar, but it made me want to see the inside all the more.
The Golden Gate Bridge (and my finger), like Alcatraz we enjoyed this only from afar. No tickets were needed or anything like that. It was just cold and windy, and public transportation was confusing. So drinking warm beverages in a coffee shop was more appealing.
Not San Francisco, but I really love Chicago. So I took a few pictures at Union Station while waiting for my train home.
I didn't dislike San Francisco by any means, but it was not at all what I expected. I'm not sure what I expected, but that wasn't it. The city was full of delicious food and seriously crazy people, two of my favorite city things. I rode a trolley car packed full of tourists and thought about Rice-a-Roni. I give the trip two thumbs up. San Francisco had never been super high on my places to go list. There's not a good reason why, I just hadn't given it much thought. But it's definitely worth a visit or two or many.
I was unbelievably lucky my first year in Bordeaux. I met and made friends with amazingly wonderful people. They became my second family when my real family was an ocean away. With few details given, when offered a less than part time job that paid next to nothing in a different continent, they made the same questionable decision I did. They've been my roommates, my travel mates, my partners in crime, my cooking companions, and I hate to say this term because I think it's corny and cliche, but my rock. So what really made San Francisco so special was the chance to see my kindred spirits, minus Pat :-( It's been 4 years since we met, homeless, overwhelmed, and confused in Bordeaux. I'm thankful for every time I get to cross paths with them.
I got a winter camp job in Korea. That means I'd leave on December 26th and work at an English "camp" for the month of January in a suburb of Seoul. Whether or not I go depends on whether or not I get my FBI background check in time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, not because I especially want to spend January in Korea (BRRRR!), but I would like to go and get my stuff back. But right now I'm enjoying my decision to stay in the USA. The holidays are quickly approaching, and I'm getting super excited to eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day, as opposed to working during the day and eating some sort of poultry that is not turkey that evening or on a later date. Other good things about being home include apple cider, political debates, my cats, and pumpkin shaped Reeses.
No comments:
Post a Comment