Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm just going to throw this out there-I don't like green tea. I think it tastes like yard. I want to like it. I've heard it makes you skinny. But I just can't stomach something that tastes like (what I imagine, anyway) that clumpy grass that falls off the bottom of the lawn mower.
So what's a perfect day trip for me? A hot summer afternoon spent at Wrigley Field.
A perfect day trip for me in Korea? The green tea fields in Boseong, of course! Much like last year's birthday outing to the Noryangjin fish market, just because I don't care for the product a place is known for, does not mean I don't want to see it. So on yet another rainy Saturday (I don't think I have seen the sun since Thailand, I MISS SUMMER!), after a 4 hour bus ride to Gwangju, an hour plus bus ride to some small town that I don't know its name (but I thought I saw a sign that said Yulpo Beach, I dunno), though we passed by the tea fields on that bus ride, we found ourselves wandering around nameless small town, while wondering how the heck to get back to the green tea fields/Gwangju/anywhere. I was ready to chuck the tea idea, and settle down at a galbi restaurant that had a view of the South Sea, find a cheap motel, and figure out the answer to the "where are we and how do we get anywhere?" problem the next day. Luckily my travel companion was more determined than I, and managed to flag down the seemingly only taxi in this town of like 20 people. So we finally arrived at the tea fields around 5:30ish, I think. I didn't look at my watch. It getting darkish. But the fields were still crowded. We walked around. It was lovely. The air was clean and foggy. The fog added to the ambiance. Luckily, our new friend/only taxi driver in town happened to be driving back around the parking lot of the tea fields as we were heading out. Despite him telling us as he dropped us off to take the city bus back to town, he motioned us to the taxi, he drove us back into Boseong to the bus terminal, where we got a bus back to Gwangju, then took a bus back to Seoul, arriving around midnight. It was a lot of bus time, but definitely worth it. Here are some pictures taken with my trusty ipod.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!!! Too bad you did not spend the night, it looks like a neat area! long bus ride!!

Mom

Aimee White said...

Loved Boseong! So so lovely! Glad you got to see it, even if the taste isn't terribly appealing ;) Who'd you travel with? I imagined Ms. Mastriani as your determined-to-find-the-fields travelling companion while the story unfolded in my head :)

LBM said...

Aimee, yes! You imagined correctly. Miss you!