Friday, August 19, 2011

if this was an email, the subject line would be blank

My computer is on his last leg. I also need a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Tough choices. The last/only new computer I bought was shortly before starting my freshman year at ISU in August, 2000. I hate spending money on computers (as well as cell phones and sunglasses). Since the demise of that beast of a Compaq, sometime in 2006 I think, I've gotten by with used computers and using other people's. 11 years. I has been 11 years since I have bought a new computer. Whoa, I started at ISU 11 years ago????? I feel old. Perhaps it's time I suck it up and start looking at new ones.
Buuuuuuut, KITCHENAID STAND MIXER! My dream kitchen appliance! My two favorite things to spend money on are food and going places. I like to go to Amazon.com and look at all the different colors and attachments. PLUS, I recently discovered that they now make an ice cream maker attachment. Can a computer do that?
I guess I don't have to decide right away, because soon I will be heading to a place that has both a Kitchenaid mixer and a working computer. Two months from today, I am leaving Seoul. As I was typing that, I got a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat. I love this city, even though it smells bad and the weather sucks. I have started talking to my boss about my ticket home, and my replacement at work now has an arrival date.
Shortly before leaving Bordeaux the first time, in an effort to get less sad about leaving my beautiful city, I made a list of reasons I was excited to go back to the US. I need to do that again. People are not allowed to be on my list. Obviously the people I get to see are the most important reason to be happy. Along those same lines, the goodbye are always the worst part about leaving anywhere. I cried the first time I left for France. I cried when I came home. I cried the second time I left for France. I cried the second time I came home. I cried when I left for Korea. And I will no doubt be crying at Incheon in two months. The goodbyes always always always suck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but hello's are good too!!!!

-Eliza