Despite being a Monday, today started out perfect. The sun was shining. The sky was blue. The air was warm. And best of all, there was no school because it is Korean Memorial Day. I lazed around, drank an entire pot (though my carafe is small, only like 3 cups) of coffee, cooked breakfast with friends, then lazed some more. Finally this afternoon I decided to get outside and do something. Since I am on a super budget, I decided "something" would be a stroll around my neighborhood. It seemed perfect. It's outside and free. I didn't even have to pay the 80 cents for a ride on the subway. I had been wanting to explore my neighborhood more anyway.
I started walking, down small side streets, ignoring the "foreigner, are you lost?" stares I received from the locals. All was going well, I walked and saw shop after shop selling restaurant equipment-coolers, BBQ tables, dishes, chairs, vents, etc.Twas lovely, until...
I'd heard it was there. I didn't know where it was exactly. But I had been told of its existence. Now I can't get its image out of my head. Seeing it with my own eyes was way worse than I thought it would be.
I saw dogs, in a cage.
Not just one cage, several. Not just one restaurant (butcher? I didn't take the time to see exactly what the set up was), several. Not just one dog per cage, several.
Before I came to Korea, for some reason in my head I thought the dogs they ate were not snuggly buddy friend dogs. I thought they were more like mutant rodent prairie dog type critters. The first time I saw dog meat for sale, my happy bubble was quickly burst. And now, actually seeing those snuggly buddy friend dogs in cages completely broke my heart. Any desire to try dog meat (and I admit, I was curious) is gone gone GONE! These angels were crammed in there, 4-5 buddies per cage, and the cages were not big. The dogs however, were big. There was one that had to be at least part St. Bernard. SO CUTE! SO SO SAD! I couldn't help staring, especially when I saw the owner's pet dog sitting beside them. ???? Then, a few shops down the street there were more doggies in cages, as well as some chickens, and three tiny little black and white kittens. I don't think they eat cat here. At least that is what I am going to tell myself.
After that I no longer felt like going for a walk. I felt like I do after I watch the Human Society of the US's youtube channel (which, by the way, did anyone else watch their video about Stallone, the dog they rescued from the dog fighting ring? I cried my eyes out!). I returned to my apartment and cuddled with Ted, the closest thing to a pet I have here.
I wish I had an airplane time machine. I would set it for USA preMarch 2008. I want to give this girl a hug.

Before I came to Korea, for some reason in my head I thought the dogs they ate were not snuggly buddy friend dogs. I thought they were more like mutant rodent prairie dog type critters. The first time I saw dog meat for sale, my happy bubble was quickly burst. And now, actually seeing those snuggly buddy friend dogs in cages completely broke my heart. Any desire to try dog meat (and I admit, I was curious) is gone gone GONE! These angels were crammed in there, 4-5 buddies per cage, and the cages were not big. The dogs however, were big. There was one that had to be at least part St. Bernard. SO CUTE! SO SO SAD! I couldn't help staring, especially when I saw the owner's pet dog sitting beside them. ???? Then, a few shops down the street there were more doggies in cages, as well as some chickens, and three tiny little black and white kittens. I don't think they eat cat here. At least that is what I am going to tell myself.
After that I no longer felt like going for a walk. I felt like I do after I watch the Human Society of the US's youtube channel (which, by the way, did anyone else watch their video about Stallone, the dog they rescued from the dog fighting ring? I cried my eyes out!). I returned to my apartment and cuddled with Ted, the closest thing to a pet I have here.
I wish I had an airplane time machine. I would set it for USA preMarch 2008. I want to give this girl a hug.

And, as long as I'm being Sally Sadsack-I went to visit a friend in the hospital yesterday. Remind me never to get sick in Korea. Hospitals are not particularly happy places, but this place makes the hospitals in the US seem like Disney World. And apparently, there are MUCH worse/more depressing hospitals here. There were like 8 people in a room. Everything was dull, depressing, smelly, etc. My friend told me that even though she is able to eat solid foods, the hospital does not offer that to any of its patients. They are only allowed to eat soft foods like porridge. Beurk. She has been in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks now. I can't imagine...
Please, if I get sick here, someone fly me home.
1 comment:
I liked the "sorta prairie dog" version better, also! And, please do not get sick!
mom
Post a Comment