Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sorry future husband and future kids, but yesterday WINS

Yesterday was the greatest day of my life. I AM DONE AT TIVOLI. FOREVER!!!! YES! Congrats to me. Hip hip horray. Throw the confetti. Laud. Woohoooo. Yahoooo. Heck yes. Never again. WoOt. Good riddance. Red letter. Jubilations. Champagne all around. Celebrations. Monday cloud lifted. Cheers. Rock and roll. Felicitations. Beat the drum. Blow the horn. Rejoice.
My kids were in fine form, and made it difficult up until the very end for me though, and I told them that yesterday. To which they replied "Quoi? Euuhh, we...euuh...do not understand zis uh" To which I gave them my standard answer "I know. And that is why you are in English class. Now pay attention."
Other highlights from the greatest day of my life include one class telling me they thought my accent was ugly. I had several thoughts on that: 1. What accent? 2. How can they even tell a difference? Up until 2 months ago when they asked me if I was returning to London for the February break, they thought I was British. 3. French people's British accents are creepy.
My actual response was "That's okay, Americans like Quebecois French better" to which they responded "AWWW, c'est pas possible ca!"

One of my favorite punishments to give the lycee students is a dictation, where I say something in English, and they have to copy it word for word, then I grade it. Usually I just read from whatever book I have in my bag. Just as I was starting a horrible class of 17 year olds yesterday, I realized I forgot my book. I desperately dug through my bag, looking for anything in English, all I had was my passport. Although they were bad enough and I should have made them do the dictation, it was only used as a threat yesterday. I am slightly disappointed about that, because from the quotes by notable Americans at the top of each page to the "Important Information" sections, I think it would have made for a very unpleasant dictation "The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection" That is pure gold. It almost makes me wish I had another day at Tivoli so that I could use it.

1 comment:

jswanson04 said...

i had to contain my laughter as i read this in the newsroom. yay for being done!!!!