Monday, November 23, 2009

Future leaders of France

Sometimes (most of the time) this job is mentally under stimulating. We have more time than we know what to do with, but no money to do anything exciting.
Teaching English is pretty easy, because what is more natural than teaching one's first language? When I was student teaching, I usually had to learn the material the night before I would teach it. Obviously, that is not a problem here. The problem is that sometimes it too easy, to the point of being mind numbingly boring. The little kids are cute, but once past their cuteness, there is only so many times that I can sing "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" before I want to hire a hit man to do away with the writer of that wretched song. The kids NEVER tire of it though, and they also have no clue what they are singing. I'm a good teacher.
I have a bit more freedom with the older ones, but most times it is still mind numbing. I am supposed to be preparing them for the BAC, and giving them documents (cartoons, usually) to present. Meaning I spend a hour with the kids as they present their document "I can see in the corner a gun. I can see in the top there is a sun. This cartoon is saying that blah blah blah" I know it is good practice for them, but uugggghhh, the only thing I get out of it is perfecting how French people speak English. I don't speak French. I speak English, French style.
So today, I was pleasantly surprised when I actually enjoyed teaching a class, at Tivoli no less! It was the only good class I have. We were doing an activity where I had them write 3 things about themselves, 2 of which were true, 1 was a lie. Then they had to present to the class, and the rest of the class had to ask questions and try to figure out which was a lie. One girl (who speaks amazing English) in particular did a great job, and we were all stumped. I told her she was a great liar. And she "I know. I want to be a politician. So I have to practice."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny girl!!! And smart and honest!