Friday, October 23, 2009

Det är semester, vänner!

Having worked a "full" 3 weeks, France feels as though it is time for a break. Although, to be fair to this country, the under worked and adequately paid for the little work that we actually do language assistants are just on break because the schools (which have been open for 7 weeks now) are on break. I realize by American standards, 7 weeks of work does not warrant vacation time. BUT thankfully for me, American standards mean nothing here. For the next 7 months, I will gladly adhere to the French school schedule. This means 6 weeks of work, followed by 2 weeks (paid) vacation. France may be 10 different kinds of frustrating every day, but I can't complain about the vacation time. So tomorrow, along with a bathing suit, sunscreen, and flip flops because I hear it is lovely there this time of year, I will be headed for Sweden. We will also be visiting Finland and Denmark.

Work at the primary school has been going well. I still don't actually know how much English the kids are learning, but they are precious. Like every other school in France, the school grounds are surrounded by a metal fence. If the kids are out at recess when I am coming or going, they always come to the fence, and put their little hands out through the openings. Most of them stick to saying "Hello Laura" although the bolder students like to incorporate other English words they know, saying things like "Hello Laura. Happy. Sad. So so. See you soon"

As much as I love working at the primary school, I hate working at the private school. So much that I actually start dreading it on Sunday afternoon. It has its okay moments, namely when the bell rings and I can be back in my room in 2 minutes, instead of the hour and a half commute I have each way with the primary school. And also...actually, no. That's it. Every other thing about working at the private school sucks. But no rent is oh so nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sooo jealous but also so proud that you are doing all of this. I've realized I've become one of those people that finds ways to bring up certain things in conversations. You're the first thing I try to bring up. Everyone in my french class in super annoyed with me because I allllways find ways to bring up the fact that my sister lives in France. For example, today we learned how to make small talk about the weather. We were all assigned a french speaking town or country for which we had to write a paragraph about the weather there, and I got Marseilles! Let me tell you everyone immediately regretted asking why I didn't need to google info about the weather there, as the rest of the class did for their places. Muhahahaha.

Eliza