Tuesday, August 18, 2009

the rose colored glasses are off and smashed under a pile of French paperwork

Ok, so I can't actually smash my rose colored glasses under a pile of French paperwork BECAUSE THEY NEVER SEND PAPERWORK!!! AAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHH!

I love France. I really really love France. But their freaking paperwork and complete lack of consistency and follow through is enough to make me want to run screaming to Wal-Mart to buy a proud to be an American bumper sticker and a Toby Keith CD and never so much as put a toe outside of the Land of Free EVER again.

I should be used to this by now. Last year, most of the assistants I know had to go through different procedures to get their residency permit. It all just depended on the person who was working at the particular window that opened up when he/she/I was next in line at the prefecture on the morning he/she/I went. Some people needed translated copies of their birth certificates. Some people were able to use their English birth certificates, as long as it was a copy that was less than 3 months old. Some people never had to use their birth certificate. I was told I needed to pay 50 euros in taxes (that was available by purchasing these stamp things at a tabac) before I could pick up my permit. Some people received their cards in 2 weeks. Mine took over 2 months.

And it is not just with governmental business. I can't say the number of times I was told "Oh yes, I will call you. We will have dinner, coffee, come and meet my kids, etc" and I heard nothing. By the end of my 8 months there, I knew that it was just a cultural thing (unbelievably annoying and frustrating, but a cultural thing just the same). Most Americans I know would find it rather rude to agree to plans, and then never have any sort of follow up, details, confirming these plans. But French people are just like, meh, whatever, and after the initial "come to my house and have coffee in the garden" conversation, never give it a second thought.

So really I am not surprised that when a French person told me that the paperwork necessary for my visa was mailed in July, I am still waiting for it a month later. But I am getting concerned. I leave a month from Sunday. It takes a week or so to get an appointment at the French Consulate in Chicago and another 15 days before my passport will be returned to me. So yeah...

Oh France.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't act like you don't already own the bumper sticker and the Toby CD.

also you forgot to mention the Reba tickets...

Do I even need to sign this?

I will anyways.

-Eliza

mananas said...

tout va bien??