Saturday, October 4, 2008

We all like food, let's discuss it

France is known for wine, cheese, baguettes, pastries, etc. I like all of this food a lot. It is one thing to eat like that for a week or two while vacationing here, but I am here for 8 months, and I can't do that to myself. While my regular diet at home is far from perfect, I am really more of a skim milk and vegetables kind of person.

My first week here I did not have a single fruit or vegetable. This was due largely to the fact that I was living in a hostel. My breakfast was half a baguette and some coffee. Lunch/dinner was usually a single meal I ate around 5 that consisted of a baguette sandwich. Needless to say, after a week of that, combined with no vitamin and no working out, I was feeling really crummy. So when I moved in with my host family, I was very excited to buy groceries and try to get my diet semi normal again. I am on a budget because I don't get paid until the end of October, and even then it is only 70% of my normal salary. And I use the term salary very loosely. It is more of a stipend/allowance than a normal salary. But I thought I could at least buy some broccoli. I love broccoli. Fresh, frozen, raw, cooked, it does not matter. I love it. So I went to the store, super excited to buy my broccoli and other good for me foods. I walked up and down every aisle, and the only broccoli that I could find was frozen pureed broccoli. I don't like any food enough to eat it frozen and pureed. So I got some romaine lettuce and canned green beans instead. It is not perfect, but it is better than what I have been eating. I also discovered a couple of other interesting things about French grocery stores and French food in general.

1. It is really hard to eat healthy when you don't know what you are buying. The majority of the food at the grocery store is mystery food. The morning that I went shopping, I had happened to be flipping through my textbook from last year, and I saw the word for "whole wheat" which I remembered when I was at the store. Then, as I was standing, staring at the different kinds of bread, I realized that i did not know the difference in brands. I don't know what the French versions of Wonder Bread and Sam's Choice are. So I picked a random loaf of bread. It is not the greatest. In fact, I think I might buy several loaves before I leave to bring home and reshingle the garage.

2. French store bought cookies are waaaaaaaay better than American store bought cookies. And unlike America, where the cookies are contained to one single, easily avoidable aisle, the French grocery stores put cookies in every single aisle. I came up with a theory for this. Baking powder (and I haven't been able to find soda either, although I am told that it is around) does not seem to exist here. Therefore, French people can't experience the joy that is a homemade cookie. So they have to overcompensate by putting the most delicious store cookies everywhere.

3. Pringles do not just come in regular flavors like sour cream and onion. They are a meal in chip form. The other day I saw steak and grilled onion flavored Pringles. The downfall of my diet has always been sugar, so I don't spend a lot of time in the chip aisle of American grocery stores. Maybe this variety of Pringles in available at home. I don't know, but I haven't ever seen it. I will probably have to try them before I leave, if for no other reason that to be able to say that I have eaten steak and grilled onion flavored Pringles.

4. Peanut butter does not exist here. A year or two ago, I discovered (courtesy of my mom) Smart Balance Peanut Butter. The flavor is not as good as Jif Extra Crunchy, but it helps me to avoid having to eat a spoonful of flax oil every morning. So it is well worth the trade. I am not surprised that I can't get Smart Balance here. No biggie. But I was hoping I would be able to at least find some sort of peanut butter, because peanut butter banana toast is a delicious breakfast. But no such luck. I met a British girl, Alice, last weekend. I saw her again at orientation yesterday. I asked her if they had peanut butter in Britain, and if she knew if I could get it anywhere here. She said they do have it in Britain, but that it was so wrong, and should not be allowed anywhere. Then she said she has never seen it in France. I guess the peanut butter banana toast breakfasts will have to wait until next summer. That is okay though, because come to think of it, I haven't seen a single toaster since I have been here.

5. French coffee-WHOA NELLIE! We have this in America as well, only it is sold in hardware stores under the name paint thinner.

6. The rent I am paying to my host mom includes breakfast. She asked me what I ate for breakfast. Usually my breakfasts are a mixture of fruit, flax oil, liquid vitamins, and water, blended together into a delicious smoothie (another courtesy of my mom), or else peanut butter banana toast, or Kashi Go Lean. I didn't think that any of these were an option, so I just said anything was good. After telling me why I should not drink milk, my host mom went out and bought me some milk, coffee, and cereal. The milk tasted a little odd, but I didn't know if it was whole milk, 2%, or what. I am a skim milk person all the way. I think it is delicious, cold, and refreshing, everything a person could ever want from milk. I will tolerate 1%, but I really don't like it, and I think that 2% and whole milk should be illegal. This milk was obviously not skim. I put some in my coffee, and just enough in the bowl to make my cereal not dry. Last night, my host mom was giving me my 5th tour of the kitchen, and she opened a cupboard under the counter, to tell me that this is where the extra milk is kept. Now I am really wondering what kind of milk can be left out for days on end. So I started reading the carton. I am still confused as to what kind of milk does not need refrigeration, but I did find the fat percentage. This "milk" is not milk at all. It is half and half. I will not be pouring myself a big refreshing glass of that to drink.

Yesterday I went to a local high school for my orientation. It was all day, but they fed us in the cafeteria. That was an experience all its own. And since I have already rambled way too much about food, and probably the only person who read this whole thing is my mom, I will save it for another time.

11 comments:

Maria Gold said...

Laura,
I am the person other than your mom who read the whole entry. Actually, I found it very interesting and quite funny! I have read and still have the book "French Women don't get fat", I think I will send it to you. Maybe you can bring back first hand knowledge to us. You are really getting the true living experience, not the visiting experience. I am envious! I love the pictures of where you are living, it just looks lovely.
Keep exploring! Love Maria

Kate said...

I also read the whole thing and loved it too! I love food
(does that run in the family?) and hearing about food in other countries is really interesting.

A bit about the milk in Europe: it is ultra-heat treated (UHT), which basically heats it even more than just pasturization does. Therefore, you buy it off the shelf in vacuum-containers (like juice boxes). It's good forever (scary). At least that's what it was like in Spain when I was there. Even if your host mom would buy skim, you'll still find that it tastes much, much worse than normal milk. I think my host mom bought 2% (UHT) and the only way I was able to tolerate it on my cereal in the morning was to dilute it 1:1 with water. And yeah, I didn't have any just to drink. :o( (I found it weird that in Spain you also buy eggs just off the shelf, not refrigerated. Is it like that in France too? That one I was never able to figure out...)

Good luck and keep filling us in on the stories!
-Kate

Anonymous said...

Laura,
That is terribly funny. Don't drink that crazy UHT stuff either. Does your hostess not know about different kinds of milk? I saw on facebook that you lost a bunch of weight so far. I'm so jealous. Anyway, good luck finding some sort of food that is really good and not expensive. Where are all the "crapieries?" I have no idea if that's spelled right, but you get the idea! Go buy some Nutella too. Or Bosomba. Talk to you soon.
Love
Joni

Anonymous said...

Laura -- ZOMG.
Remember my first crazy Drake roommate? (Aaron does no doubt) I think French coffee made her like that permanently. Reading this, now it all makes sense! Be careful! Also, I'll pay for shipping if you send me a can of steak and grilled onion Pringles. I'd love to take them to work. Love your updates. Wish I was there. You haven't said anything about French boys yet. What gives? Take care!

Anonymous said...

I read it all, too, Laura. I'd just have your mom send you calcium tablets...
I want to hear about the French boys, too.
Love, Aunt Ann

corynn.koch said...

Laura,

Don't drink the milk! Just like kate said, they have the same crappy milk in Spain. I like think that it's not actually milk but a white colored drink. I never had it, not even for cereal, it's disgusting. Drink water, and take Aunt Ann's advice of the calcium tablets! I think that all of Europe does that with their milk.

About the peanut butter, they sometimes have peanut butter at SOME stores, so keep trying. Usually it's a small bottle, more expensive, and doesn't taste as good. BUT it is there!

I Love the coffee of France! Are you kidding? Espresso is delicious... the first time I had it, I hated it,but now I love it, so maybe you'll love it too. But, if you want to have coffee that doesn't taste like paint thinner, you can order 'cafe americano.' I don't know how to say that in French, but I'll ask Jamie and write back. Just translate that to French... something like 'un cafe américain'maybe? It's a shot of espresso with steamed water, and it tastes sort of like American coffee. In my opinion, what tastes better is 'le cafe au lait' or in spanish 'cafe con leche' which is like the latte. The milk is fine in coffee. Another way to get calcium! come to think of it, that's the only way I got my calcium while I lived in Spain. :)
How's everything going with school? Are the other teachers friendly? How's the British roommate?

Can't wait to hear more! I read your updates frequently!

Love,
Cousin Corynn

corynn.koch said...

p.s. UPDATE FACEBOOK!!! (As soon as you can, I know that internet is scarce for you.)

Anonymous said...

laura!

normally i would have simply emailed you, but on the topic of whole milk i feel what must be said is really more of a PSA and needs to be shared - i agree that on its own it's much better mixed with cream, frozen, and whipped into ice cream than enjoyed by the glass (unless, of course, you're out of bowls so you're eating ice cream out of the glass. but i digress.), however - you musn't make it illegal because only whole milk steams properly...and you can pry my latte from my cold trembling anxious hands :-)

glad you're enjoying yourself. scott says to tell you hi from chriiiiiiis, keep looking over your shoulder, and if someone offers you lemonade while you wait for them to do the laundry it's perfectly innocent and you should go right inside.

love - aaron

JAMIE said...

The milk in Europe is horrible! The little boxes on the regular shelves? No matter how 'fat free' or skim it is, it will still taste awful. I think it's because few Frenchies actually drink milk because of all of the cheese and yogurt they eat. (Not joking.)

I would try to find it in the refrigerated section...otherwise, do what I did, and skip milk for your whole stay :)

JAMIE said...

The milk in Europe is horrible! The little boxes on the regular shelves? No matter how 'fat free' or skim it is, it will still taste awful. I think it's because few Frenchies actually drink milk because of all of the cheese and yogurt they eat. (Not joking.)

I would try to find it in the refrigerated section...otherwise, do what I did, and skip milk for your whole stay :)

JAMIE said...

another note:

1.baking soda - sodium bicarbonate in France, and you can find it at the pharmacy. (weird, but it's the same stuff we use. they find it really creepy that we use it in food).

2. they have peanut butter and chocolate chips at huge grocery stores like Carrefour, but they'll only have one variety, and it doesn't taste the same. I'd recommend for Eliza to bring you some.

3.You must have been to an epicerie, because most French grocery stores have great veggies sections with tons of fresh veggies.