I am getting more in the swing of things here.
I have a semi regular schedule at both my schools. I have 19 different classes to prepare for. So much for learning names or bringing treats.
My French is getting better. I can now hear most of the words people are saying, I just usually have no idea what the words mean. I guess those years of cramming vocab the night before an exam and then forgetting it as soon as my pencil answered the question has finally come back to haunt me.
I got my debit card, and once you have a European debit card, you are golden. There is this little chip in it that lets you use the debit card for train tickets, tram passes, more cell phone minutes, and I a pretty sure it can be used as your ticket to the alternate universe, although the French are very tight lipped about that. Unfortunately, the magic chip in the card feeds on Euros, which my bank account currently is lacking.
We got the TV to work, and in the process turned the living room into an amazing jungle gym of extension cords, plug adapters, and Ethernet cables. I was told that TV is an excellent way to improve one's understanding of a foreign language, which may be true, but it is a painful method of learning. One night spent watching French TV shows will leave you crying to return to the country that gave us quality programs such as The Moment of Truth and Viva Laughlin.
Really though, things are good. One of the teachers was telling me that she is very excited to have an American assistant. She went on to say that they have never had an American assistant, they always get British ones, it will be good for the kids to hear an American accent, learn about American culture, etc. So I was feeling pretty good. Then, after her class she was explaining to me what she wanted me to do for this week. Here is the conversation. Please do enjoy.
Her: Do you celebrate Halloween?
Me: Yes. I went trick or treating when I was a kid [no need to tell her I trick or treated every year until I was 17]. And adults go to parties. It is very popular in the US.
Her: Well I hate Halloween. I want you to teach about Guy Fawkes Night instead. Do you celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in America?
Me: No...
I like this teacher. She is super nice, and I don't mind teaching about whatever. Thanks to my English housemate Catherine and Wikipedia, I now know all about Guy Fawkes Night. I have no clue what I'm going to do with it, but I know about it. And I think I'd choose door to door begging for candy over burning effigies of Catholics on bonfires any night.
10 comments:
Hi Laura,
I have been telling alot of people about your blog, so you might start getting comments from people that you don't even know.
I'm not really even sure what a blog is, but I pretend like I know when I am telling people!
Grandpa Morris has started reading your blog and he told me that he didn't realize that you were so funny. Do you have a 'ghost' writer!?
Keep up the good work.
Love,
Dad
Laura,
I was laughing out loud when I read the exchange you had with the instructor. Now I'm going to read about this Guy Fawkes guy myself... Great to hear you're adjusting!
Marcy
Hey Laura,
I agree, you are very funny and your blog is very entertaining to read. I think you could get a book deal from all this. Glad everything is going so well!
katie g
um...if she prefers an american assistant over a brit, why does she want you to teach about a british holiday?
instead of, you know, preparing for the lesson and all of that difficulty, etc, you ought to just show the class v for vendetta. i believe the title character wore a guy fawkes mask and guy fawkes night was somehow involved (i haven't seen it yet), and you ought to able to bs your way through the rest if there's any time left after the film. call it the jack basetti method of education.
i'll send you the invoice for my consultation via air-post. i don't accept magic chips.
pringles, on the other hand...
love - aaron
Tell her no, you don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Night because you're not a freak. See how that goes over....
Love you!- Eliza
wtf is with guy fawkes? stage a coup! you need to tell them all about halloween, ESPECIALLY the ones when you were in high school. :)
I thought Guy Fawkes was a Canadian holiday....er, French Canadian (along with ze best singer in ze land)
MaryG
Post a Comment