Thursday, September 18, 2008

I haven't thrown up...yet

So this morning I received an email from the teacher at one of my schools, and he asked that i bring a whole lot of teaching supplies, including math, science, and geography textbooks for 10-13 year olds, children's movies and cds, flash cards, comic books, easy crossword puzzles, etc. I'm like cool. That is really good information to get 4 days before I leave. So I spent the better part of today running around trying to find that stuff. Because I was a social studies and French secondary education major, textbooks for 10-13 year olds are not something I have just laying around. I was able to find a few at the Closet. And I left a message with the jr high principal, but he never called me back. Then I ventured over to Lasalle, which is a little scary for me because I get lost literally every time I am in that town, so I try to avoid going there at all costs. During student teaching, it took me about 3 weeks before I could drive to LP High School without taking the scenic route. So anyways, I went to Lasalle to go to the teacher supply store. I was actually lucky because it's on First Street in Lasalle, which is also the street of the WORST place I've ever worked. So I didn't think getting there would be much of a problem for me, but my mom apparently did think getting there would be problem for me, so she volunteered to drive me. No complaints. I got a lot of pretty good stuff between all the stores I went too, PLUS I got lunch at Steak n Shake. Now I just have to figure out how to fit all these books and stuff in my suitcases. Hmmm...a suitcase full of books should be a lot of fun to carry through two airports, a taxi ride, a train station, a train ride, who knows how far on foot from the train station to where I'm staying the first night in a town about 80 miles south of Bordeaux, back to the train station the next day, another train ride, around Bordeaux the second day, and to wherever I end up staying the second night (and hopefully every night after that, until I find a permanent place to live because I really don't want to be a nomad for more than a night).
Also, Hall High School is in need of a French teacher for next year. Hmm...I am not a super competitive person. My high school spirit was definitely lacking during my 4 years at PHS. But could I really apply at Hall?? I've heard some scary things about that place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the question is whether you could work at Hall after going to PHS, but could you work at Hall (or anywhere in IL)after living in France? That said, it might be a good job. I'm sure your next few days will be busy! Good luck with everything!!

jswanson04 said...

just sayin', i don't think you could go back to the IV area. i'll keep my eyes and ears open for positions up here. :)not that i'm selfish, or anything.