My mom is awesome for many reasons. One of those reasons is that she taught my siblings and me how to eat healthy. Growing up, we never had white bread or store bought treats, we rarely ate pasta, the only time we ever got sweet cereal was once a year for our birthdays, we ate garden vegetables all summer long, and the soda that was in the house was only for company. As a result of that, Aaron, Eliza and I are all pretty health conscious. However, as long as I can remember I've had a huge sweet tooth. I love sugar. Some days the cravings are worse than others, and it's definitely gotten better in the past few years, but even so, rarely can I ever pass up a cookie. So whenever I see any articles about beating sugar cravings, I have to read them. Mostly they all say the same thing "Give into the craving, have just a small bit of chocolate." I've tried that approach, all that does is make me think about how good a small bit of chocolate is, and how much I'd like to eat some more. A few months ago, I came across an article saying that a spoonful of coconut oil helps to cut sugar cravings. It gave an explanation why, but I don't remember it. My mom has kept coconut oil in the house for a very long time, way before it became trendy. I thought about trying that but I could never get on board with the idea of eating a spoonful of plain oil. Every morning for a breakfast, I make a kale/spinach smoothie. I like going into lunch knowing I've already had a big serving of vegetables. A few weeks ago, I decided to try putting a small spoonful of coconut oil into my smoothie. It blended right up and didn't change the taste at all. So I'll admit, the smoothie isn't as satisfying as a stack of pancakes and a side of sausage, but it's a great start to the day and I'm addicted to it. The only problem is that sometimes I'm hungry before lunch. So the first morning I tried the coconut oil, I realized noon had come and gone and I'd not thought about food or snacking. I've continued putting a little coconut oil into my smoothie each morning and it's really helped the sugar cravings. It's got a lot of other interesting uses (I love the internet). I've started putting it in my hair once a week, but it takes a few months before that's supposed to make a difference, so we'll see. I've been putting a little under my eyes as well, and I swear the dark circles have gotten better. So far, I'm a fan.
I have a place to live! It's scary cheap, so hopefully I'll figure out sooner rather than later why this apartment has such a low price tag. But, I get the key August 1st. I'm also registered for my fall classes, which start at the end of August. I have a lot to do in the meantime for school, but at least I'm registered. Now, I need a job.
It's been over a week since my sort of falling out with the Turk. I've reached out to him 3 times, asking if we can talk to clear the air. I hate leaving things unresolved. And I've been ignored 3 times. Ouch. I've mentioned a few times on here about the "friends" I made in Korea. Up until then, I always thought most adults preferred to hash things out. I thought most adults would be willing to have a slightly awkward conversation, if it meant resolving an issue, getting rid of hard feelings, etc. After I had a falling out with those friends in Korea, I tried to talk things over with two of them. It never happened. So instead we spent our last months in Korea as coworkers, rather than friends. It made the atmosphere at work unbearable and horribly awkward. I realized in the years since then, that for many people that is the norm. Unfortunately, technology doesn't help that any. It's easy to ignore an email or text. It's easy to ignore a phone call from someone when you always know who is calling. It's extremely frustrating how many people are so unwilling to have a slightly tough conversation, and would prefer to just say "well, I guess I'm done with them." Cowardly.
I have to go to work now. I'm not going to spell check or proofread this.
4 comments:
I'm happy that your plans are moving forward! Here's to the next year of your life and getting where you want to go. Just think about all the Cubs games you can go to just by taking cheap trains instead of driving.
I remember you posting something about the coconut oil a while ago. I finally tasted it for the first time a few weeks ago. :) I don't like coconut, but the oil is fine. Maybe I should try the teaspoon thing, too. I did find my sugar cravings drastically reduced once I quit drinking juice last fall and basically gave up all things with added sugar for a couple months. After that, it seemed like it broke me of the cravings. Now I feel like I can eat some of it, though I'm a bit worried I'm getting close to craving it again. Also - HAVE FUN with this next adventure! :)
I'm also addicted to spinach/kale smoothies, and I put coconut oil in other things, but have never put it in smoothies yet. I will try it tomorrow! It IS delicious in coffee! Have fun and good luck! I can't wait for the updates during your new adventure. - Jamie
I'm also addicted to spinach/kale smoothies, and I put coconut oil in other things, but have never put it in smoothies yet. I will try it tomorrow! It IS delicious in coffee! Have fun and good luck! I can't wait for the updates during your new adventure. - Jamie
Post a Comment