A few weeks ago I subbed at a local kindergarten, where a classroom aide was kind enough to warn me about a girl in the class who always had lice. "Just don't let her hug you" was the advice given to me. I appreciated it.
Fast forward to today, I subbed in the kindergarten class again. The girl came up to me and said "Do you know I have bugs living in my hair?" My reaction was combination of trying to not be grossed out and trying to not laugh. I wonder how other almost strangers have been asked that question by her.
It reminded me of a time years ago when the Morris household was dealing with an outbreak of lice. We'd all used the special shampoo, changed our bedding, and put all of our belongings in airtight plastic bags for some time. The only thing left was several weeks of picking the eggs out of our hair. Sounds gross, but anyone who's ever had lice understands what a chore this is. My mom learned quickly the nits were easier to see in bright light. She would frequently have Eliza or me come over and let her check for eggs when we were around bright light of any kind. So one sunny morning my mom met several of her lady friends and their children at the park. The moms were sitting on the park benches talking and watching the kids play, when a 4 year old Eliza came running over to where they was sitting, and in front of all the other ladies announced that this would be a great time to check her hair for eggs.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I've felt a lot of ups and downs the past 6 months regarding my decision to not go back to Seoul. However, when I was sitting at home eating turkey with my family, and this week as I've started baking Christmas cookies galore while listening to radio stations that play only Christmas music, there is no where else I'd rather be.
But along those same lines, I've been putting some pressure on myself to not live at home. Yesterday a 5th grader asked me if I still lived with my parents. I lied to her, and said no. To which she replied "Good, you're too old for that!" No kidding, tween. Isn't there a One Direction TV special or something you could go watch?
Though out of curiosity I looked in the local paper for apartments. $600 for an apartment in Princeton. Yep. And THAT is why I still live at home.
1 comment:
We have taught the "headlice" hug to several chronic kids...they hold their head away from you when they hug you!
Aunt Ann
Post a Comment