Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meet Earth Class, Hyun June edition


This is Hyun June. I know it sounds bad to say that I have favorites. But I do. And I have a big huge giant soft spot in my heart for this little guy. He is the weakest student in my class of mini geniuses, and his classwork is usually the reason I go through so many red markers. In addition to his less than stellar academic performance, his behavior is not the best either. He is a chronic nose picker, and can't seem to stay in his seat no matter how many "good behavior" stickers I promise. He has an ashamed/angry face like none other. BUT, he is one of the sweetest, most affectionate kids I've ever met. His hyper behavior is really just trying to get attention. I think he sees it as a way to get noticed, since most of the other students in the class are so smart. During parent teacher conferences a few months ago, his mom started crying because she was worried about him. She said he desperately wants his dad's approval and praise, but his dad is very hard on him, with nothing he does ever being good enough. I'll wait for a minute, and let that break your heart a bit. The few times I've met his mom, she has asked me to please give Hyun June lots of love and praise. It is hard not to give a student lots of praise when he gives me work like this


No comments: