It's Christmas! This is my favorite day of the year. To say I love Christmas is an understatement. I LIVE for this. Of course, this year has been different. I did a lot of the same things. I wore red and green. I listened to nonstop Christmas music. I cried my eyes out during It's a Wonderful Life. But still, things felt different this year.
Usually, Christmas Eve has an almost magical feeling to it. Yesterday, I worked a full day, finishing at 6 PM. The school did some special things for the kids. The lone male staff member (a middle age guy who bares a striking resemblance to Donny Osmond and doesn't really work at school, but rather walks around, and looks at things that need to be fixed without actually really fixing them, which is why my classroom has had two florescent lights burnt out and a broken clock for over 6 weeks now) put on a Santa suit. Prior to Christmas Eve, the parents brought in a wrapped present, as well as a list of the children's merits and demerits. One by one, the classes were brought down to the gym see "Santa" though my class knew immediately that this was an imposter "Not Santa. That is Ken Teacher." Then each student got a chance to go see Santa. Santa/Ken Teacher gave the students their presents, as the teachers read the list of merits and demerits. I felt kind of Grinchish, on Christmas Eve telling my sweet little kiddies things they do wrong. However, the list of things the parents wrote was hilarious. I saved the paper, but left it at school. I'll share it with you sometime next week. One student's (not in my class) mother wrote that she was a coward. The favorite demerit from my class was "She gets her shirt wet when she brushes her teeth" Tsk tsk, looks like someone deserves a big lump of coal.
The kids were energetic BEFORE they went to see Santa. They were nearly uncontrollable after receiving their presents. I now understand why American schools are closed by Christmas Eve. I hope that private schools in Korea jumps on that train soon. It was like I was talking to no one. To add to the excitement of the day, the owner of the school (an older than middle age Korean woman, whooooooo...where do I start?? She has had SO much plastic surgery she probably can't stand too close to ovens or radiators or her face will melt, rumor has it is she puts vodka not coffee in her mug, has been known to fall asleep at the front desk, is supposedly awful to the Korean teachers but due to her lack of English is okay to the foreign teachers, usually dresses like she is going to a New Year's Eve cocktail party rather than an elementary school, etc) decided it would be a good day to teach the kids table manners...and what better meal to do it with than ribs and fries eaten with chopsticks? I had no intention of teaching the kids table manners. Come on now, Christmas Eve, ribs and fries, chopsticks? Right, table manners, that'll happen. But I was super stoked for our Outback Steakhouse carry out lunch. RIBS AND FRIES, not rice and kimchi. Until I realized the teachers were given a "special" lunch from Outback Steakhouse, that included rice, kimchi, 3 small potato wedges, chicken bits, pasta with shrimp on top, and wilted lettuce with nothing on it. Not a single rib or fry on the plate. The best thing about the meal is that it was not just room temperature, it was ICE cold. Outback Steakhouse is just up the street from school. My guess is someone WALKED the food to school, and Korea is painful cold right now.
Despite being hyper, my kids were beyond precious yesterday. Here is a video of Cassiopeia class, after their visit from Santa, opening their presents.
Then there is Big Dipper class enjoying their ribs and fries. Big Dipper is a special class. They are the slowest of their age group, but they are cute. They spent about 10 minutes of lunch holding the ribs in their mouths while making dog noises.
And now, I have to finish packing and go to the airport! My plane leaves at 6:30 tonight. 17 short hours later, I will land at O'Hare! Christmas never feels long enough. Today, I get 15 extra hours!
I hope everyone enjoys this very special day. I wish you all a very merry Christmas!!
PS-Next week is the end of my 7th month in Korea. Holy flying by time!
No comments:
Post a Comment