Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mayonnaise at Plymouth

According to the English Wikipedia entry on mashed potatoes, in addition to boiled potatoes, other common ingredients include garlic, cheese, bacon, sour cream, onion, mustard, or various herbs. I don't read Korean, but if I could, I am sure the Korean Wikipedia entry on mashed potatoes would tell readers that other ingredients include boiled eggs, corn, mayonnaise, and of course raisins.

As I said before, Friday at school we had another cooking class. This month the kids have been learning about healthy habits, including healthy eating. I generally put mashed potatoes in the comfort food category more than the healthy food category (and in my world there is no overlap between those two categories). But I guess relatively speaking, it is healthier than the strawberry sundaes we made last month.

These mashed potatoes tasted more like egg/potato salad. The kids each had a cup and a spoon, and in their cup they mixed together half a potato, one boiled egg, mayo, milk, salt, pepper, raisins, and corn. I don't fully understand the Koreans love of corn. A plain cheese pizza has corn on it. Spaghetti sauce has corn in it. You can buy boiled ears of corn from carts on the street, which a lot of my student do then give them to me as presents. Ummm, thanks?
Here's a picture of my "mashed potatoes"
Ahh, doesn't that just conjure up images of family, the Macy's parade, football, and a delicious feast, with a big pile of that drowning in gravy on your plate between the stuffing and the green bean casserole?
My kids had a similar reaction. While some of them did seem to enjoy it, a lot of them told me it was "bery bery bery bery not yummy"

Here is a video of Cassiopeia "cooking"




And their reaction:


And then there is Big Dipper...what can I say? While most days their behavior is much better than Cassiopeia's, they are definitely a bit, ummm, how to put it nicely? They are the slower of the two classes (and actually according to a recent IQ test, the slowest in the school). They found some other uses for their cooking utensils.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute kids! I could take almost any of those ingredients in mashed potatoes, except raisins!
Aunt Ann

Unknown said...

ew cooking days are scary. your kinderhearts are presh though... and you are soo right about corn. I've gotten corn as a gift too. have you experienced corn tea?

Anonymous said...

LAURA; I HOPE YOUR UNCLE DAVID SEES THIS. IT COULD IMPROVE HIS "NIP IT IN THE BUD SPUDS. GRAMPA M