Thursday, January 22, 2009

I could also post this in the Koch cousin food blog...

One of my roommates is a Korean girl named Jeungeun. I call her Jay. Jay and I have some communication issues, given my nonexistent level of Korean, her nearly nonexistent level of English, and both of our mediocre at best level of French. But we get by. One of our common topics of conversation is what she's cooking for dinner. Before Christmas, almost religiously for dinner every night she made what I think of as French Korean goulash. She would dice up up (her knife skill are amazing and would put to shame most of the cooks at Benihana) a little of every food she had at the time, and put it in a skillet, cook and serve. Most nights this started with a skillet full of onions, then she would add hot dogs, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, scrambled eggs, several spoonfuls of rice that had been cooking in her rice cooker all afternoon, and a couple pieces of croque monsieur cheese (basically like American cheese) melted on top. Then she would spoon it on her plate, cover it in ketchup, and eat. One night she gave me a plateful of it. It was unique. She must be burned out on it though, because since returning from Christmas, I have not seen her make it a single time. The first few weeks I was back, she lived on moldy squash and the French version of Slim Fast. And now she is eating some sort of BBQ her mother mailed her...from Korea. I don't get it either.
Last night, she made dinner for her friend. It was Korean sushi. She tried explaining to me how it was different than Japanese sushi, but I did not understand what she was saying. I looked up "Korean sushi" and learned that what she made was pretty common, but I still couldn't bring myself to try it. The ingredients of this sushi were seaweed, rice, tuna mixed with mayo, crab (flavored) sticks, strips of egg cooked omelet style, spoonfuls of scrambled eggs, hot dogs, sesame seed oil, carrots, spinach, and Asian pickled radish (google that, food shouldn't be that color, reason number one why I don't drink Mountain Dew). I felt bad turning her down when she offered it to me. I usually try to be open minded and try things at least once, but I just couldn't do it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting, but she should try a cheeseburger and fries. granda m

Anonymous said...

whoops , i meant GRAMPA M

Anonymous said...

enjoy your blogs, but the food doesn't sound good to me, either. they do make good fried rice, though but I'd skip the extras. Grandma

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Laura! I just googled "asian pickled radish" and your blogg was the first one up! So, as I am not a real expert on the internet and it works for me, I am going to assume that anyone who googles "asian pickled radish" in quotations will see you blogg! That is so cool! Ok, enough with the exclamation points :)
-Joni

Anonymous said...

Laura,
I had a Korean friend in college. We visited her brother and sister in Corpus Christi one spring break and they cooked Korean food for us. No hot dogs were involved and it was all delicious! We were told not to try the kimchee (very hot fermented, it think, cabbage) as they thought it would be too hot for us.
And how about a link to the Koch cousin food blog?
Aunt Ann

jswanson04 said...

ok, as weird as the pickled radish looks, it's actually kinda tasty. i know, i know. it really shouldn't look that color, though ... it sounds tasty, save for the hot dogs. wtf? gross. i only like hot dogs at wrigley field. or when i'm drunk. :)

Eliza Mo Mo said...

I actually googled all korean sushi and that pickles radish stuff. Ick. And I'm totally with you on the Mountain Dew. NOT a normal color = not meant to be eaten/drank. I prefer the nice, smooth, brown or Dr. Pepper myself...

Anonymous said...

hilarious that I posted that as not anonymous on accident. Whoops. The link takes you to the roommate blog with one post. HAH.

-eliza