Thursday evening my friend had a Thanksgiving potluck at her apartment. No one really had time to cook anything special, since most of us were at the stage all day. However, we had the 4 basic French food groups covered-wine, baguette, cheese, and nutella.

I made an interesting observation on Friday. For over a month now I have been watching as Bordeaux put up beaucoup de Christmas decorations, and I have been eagerly anticipating the lights being turned on. For many Americans, myself not included given that I carve my jack-o-lantern while enjoying the Now That’s What I Call Christmas CD, the Christmas season official starts the day after Thanksgiving. Since the French do not celebrate Thanksgiving, I have been curious as to when their Christmas season official begins. I now have my answer. Despite the forth Thursday in November being just another day to the French, the fourth Friday in November is used as their official start to the Christmas season as well. I was sitting in a cafe late afternoon on Friday, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of light. I got up and looked out the window, and much to my delight, saw the lights had been turned on.



On Friday evening, there was a fete outside the big cathedral in Bordeaux. From my understanding, there is a big competition among French cities to see who can have the biggest Buche de Noel. Currently, Bordeaux holds the record. In addition to the Buche de Noel, they had free vin chaud, a band dressed up in Santa suits, and ice skating.
Yesterday, another assistant had a Thanksgiving dinner at her house. She had found some turkey breasts at the grocery store. The food we had was a little more traditional Thanksgiving fare, despite the turkey not tasting at all like turkey. I provided the pumpkin pie, although that would have not been possible, had it not been for my fantastic mom, who gave me the gifts of canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, and pumpkin pie seasonings when she was here last month.

Our little family chez Maryse has grown. We got another housemate yesterday. His name is Robert. Robert is an interesting fellow. He is British, here for 2 months doing an internship. He is here through the same program that Catherine (my former housemate) was in. Catherine was 22, and just out of university. All of her colleagues were 22, just out of university, or 18 and here on their gap year. Robert is 39. I hope to befriend him, at least well enough to learn why he is 39 and just now doing an internship. He is 10 kinds of socially awkward though, so I may never know.
6 comments:
Hi Laura: Really enjoy your blogs. I check every morning to see if there is a new additiion. Missed you on Thanksgiving but looking forward to Christmas. See you soon. Love, Grandma
hi yo yo; i also enjoy your blogs a lot and look forward to more. we appreciate the time it takes to put them togather. i have some pictures from our thanksgiving dinner and would send them if i were not so computer illiterat , so i will have them printed for you when you get here. grandpa m
OUTSTANDING!
One of your best!
love,
Dad
"10 kinds of socially awkward." i know SO many people that describes ... and hey, you know, if you want to bring me one of those bottles of 1-euro wines, i'm totally down. just, uh, please make it dry. i can't drink sweet. ;-)
can't wait to see you!!
Give Robert my number. Thanks.
Eliza
Wow - they really know how to put up lights in Bordeaux! But wait - where are the tacky outdoor blow up snow globes? You had to post the picture of the pie just to get everyones taste buds going, eh!! As for which wine, hmmmmmmm let's think. Just make sure Uncle Dale isn't around, it will all be gone gone! See you soon! ~ Maria
Post a Comment