Saturday, November 8, 2008

a couple conversations

Walking through the courtyard at school yesterday a girl came running up to me.
Girl: Hello Laura!
Me: Hi. How are you?
Girl: blank stare
Me: How are you?
Girl: Oooh! I...am 10 years old.

In class yesterday I was showing a picture of some people celebrating Obama's victory.
Me: Why are these people happy?
Student A: They are excited because Obama is President.
Me: That is correct. Does anyone know why this election is so historic?
Student B: Obama...has victory, comme (French for "like" and most of my students also seem to think it is an English word as well) Martin Luther King's dream.
Me: That is really good. Can anyone tell me about Martin Luther King?
Student B again: He wanted black people and white people to be good friends.
Me: Yes, he wanted equality for black people. So why do you think he would be happy about this election?
Student C: Because 50 years ago, in America, black people are slaves.

This is actually a story from Randall, another assistant in a local high school, but I am sharing anyway because it is sadly representative of what French people think America is like.
Randall: Who can tell me what happens on Halloweeen?
Student: Little girls get raped.

This is probably the best/worst conversation that I have had here. It actually happened a few weeks ago, but I don't think I ever shared. The kids had to bring in items that they thought represented America, and then we were having a sort of show and tell. Items brought in included a (fake) hand gun, several cokes, several pictures of McD's, and a collection of poker chips. One girl wanted to show me her item before class.
Girl, holding a tiny jar of Skippy peanut butter and I have since looked everywhere for Skippy PB, couldn't find any: I brought this. Is this okay?
Me: Wow, you are very creative for thinking to bring that. Good job!
Girl: Ooh! Good. You like penis butter?

I know that I should not laugh at the French kids' English. I am learning French, and so I know how difficult it is to learn a language, and I reword most of the things I say to avoid using object pronouns or compound tenses other than just the basic past. But the things they say are just so funny. Plus they all laugh at my French, so it is really just one big circle.

3 comments:

jswanson04 said...

i hope you then jumped her for that skippy ...

Anonymous said...

Laura, make sure she understands that if she tells people she likes eating penis butter, she will probably get put into child protective services. Anyway, that is hilarious.
-Joni

Maria Gold said...

Hilarious! Peanut Butter will never be the same!